Vegan mug brownies are the quickest and perhaps the most delicious single-serving vegan dessert. And by fastest, I mean that this healthy brownie mug is guaranteed to satisfy your dessert cravings in 5 minutes or less! This recipe is a one-bowl (or mug!) dessert made using wholesome, vegan ingredients that are good for you and the planet.
Plus, you likely have most of the ingredients, if not all of them, in your pantry right now.
Healthy and Easy Vegan Mug Brownies
Vegan microwave brownie mugs are truly perfect when you want a quick, 1-minute brownie any night of the week.
So I have been craving chocolate recently. Honestly, there really isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t dream about chocolate. But I rarely have the time to bake a fresh batch of brownies, which is why I am a super fan of the brownie mug trend. Brownie mugs are the way to go when you are in the mood for dessert but don’t have any fresh baked goods in the house.
And for those times that I am craving something rich and chocolatey but still on the healthier side, I turn to these vegan mug brownies. These healthy brownie mugs use staple vegan ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen right now!
Vegan brownie mugs can be whipped up using seven simple ingredients. These ingredients are:
- White whole wheat flour- White whole wheat flour is a type of 100% whole grain wheat. Unlike the traditional whole wheat varieties, white whole wheat flour has a lighter color and milder flavor while still delivering all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber of whole grains. This makes white whole wheat flour perfect for healthy baked goods.
Many grocery stores now carry white whole wheat flour. If you can’t find it in your local store, it’s also sold at most health food retailers. Don’t have white whole wheat flour on hand? You can also use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Light Brown Sugar- Brown sugar helps retain moisture in baked goods, resulting in a gooey and moist healthy brownie mug. Plus, brown sugar provides a touch more flavor than regular white sugar, thanks to the small amounts of molasses which gives brown sugar its signature color and flavor.
- Cocoa powder
- A flavorless oil- Baked good recipes, such as these vegan mug brownies, sometimes call for a neutral or flavorless oil. But what exactly is a flavorless oil? Flavorless oils are any oil that has a neutral flavor, which sets them apart from stronger flavored oils, such as olive oil.
Flavorless oils are ideal for baking since they don’t impart a distinct or notable flavor. Even better, flavorless oils are great for vegan baked goods since they are an alternative to butter.
Types of flavorless oil that work well for this recipe and other baked goods include canola oil, vegetable oil, grapeseed oil, and sunflower oil. Additionally, avocado oil and peanut oil are considered light oils that can be used in a pinch. These oils have a mild flavor, which will only be slightly noticeable in the end product.
- Unsweetened oat, almond, soy milk- This recipe calls for vegan milk alternatives, such as soy or almond milk. Additionally, you can opt for the milk alternative of your choice. I usually recommend going with an unsweetened variety for less added sugar.
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Vegan chocolate chips- Opt for your favorite brand of vegan chocolate chips. I personally love the semi-sweet chocolate chips from Equal Exchange for baking. Additionally, you can always use whatever kind of chocolate chips you have on hand, keeping in mind that not all brands are vegan.
How to Make This Vegan Brownie Mug
This healthy brownie mug comes together so quickly that there aren’t many details to share.
Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl, fold in the chocolate chips, and transfer to a microwave-safe mug.
Depending on the size of the mug you are using, you may also choose to combine your ingredients directly in the microwavable mug. Speaking of mug size, I recommend using a 6- or 8-ounce mug. This recipe doesn’t call for a leavening agent, which creates a denser, moist brownie. Therefore, you don’t need a large cup for these 1-minute brownies.
Next, microwave for 45 to 60 seconds, being careful not to overcook or burn your brownie mug. Most microwaves vary, and not to mention that chocolate burns easily. Start by cooking this recipe for 45 seconds and then go up to a minute as needed.
Finally, let your brownie cool for 2 to 3 minutes before digging in. Allowing the brownie to cool gives it time to set and also means that you won’t burn your tongue.
What size mug should I use to make vegan microwave brownie mugs?
This recipe calls for a 6- or 8-ounce microwavable mug. You can also use a standard-sized cup in a pinch. Remember that these brownies don’t rise as much as a microwavable cake, so a regular-sized cup may make the brownie appear smaller than they are.
Do I need to use white whole wheat flour?
White whole wheat flour is a great option to make this a healthy dessert, thanks to the filling fiber. However, you can also use all-purpose or 1:1 gluten-free flour for this recipe.
Can I make the vegan brownie ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in the fridge for later. Then, you can warm it up again by placing it in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds or eat it cold.
Can I use dairy milk for this recipe?
Yes, you can use dairy milk for this brownie mug if you would like to. It just won’t be vegan.
Variations and Ingredient Substitutes
- Don’t have whole wheat white flour on hand? That’s no problem. You can use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Are you looking to add a little something extra to your vegan mug brownie? Try topping these mug brownies with a dollop of your favorite vegan ice cream. Is there anything better than a warm brownie with ice cream?
- Additionally, try sprinkling some fresh raspberries and melted vegan chocolate on top. Perhaps chocolate and raspberries are an even better combination than brownies with ice cream? Who can say?
So what are you waiting for? You are only a few minutes away from a delicious and healthy-ish dessert! Dig in!
Other Recipes that You’ll Love
Now that you have satisfied that chocolate craving with these vegan mug brownies, are you looking for even more dessert recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
- Mini-Cookie Skillet
- Healthy Apple Crisp Bars
- Layered Chocolate Banana Chia Pudding (with vegan variations)
Did you like this microwavable vegan mug brownie? I would love to hear from you! Please be sure to leave a comment below and follow me on Pinterest and Instagram @biteoutoflife_nutrition.
Vegan Mug Brownie
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened non-dairy milk such as oat, almond, or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons flavorless oil such as canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- Combine the unsweetened non-dairy milk, flour, cocoa powder, flavorless oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt in a microwave-safe mug.
- Fold in the vegan chocolate chips.
- Microwave the brownie mug for 45 to 60 seconds, being careful not to burn the chocolate. Allow brownie mug to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.